B'nai B'rith International joined countless other organizations to promote the Interfaith call-in day to prevent gun violence on February 4, 2012. Members were encouraged to call their Senators and Members of Congress to insist that they act to prevent gun violence. The campaign's message was to ensure that the voices of faithful Americans ring throughout the halls of Congress.
The organizers knew that there are differences in viewpoint and asked callers to convey whichever policies they were comfortable. The major components of legislation that Congress is considering include:
- Require universal background checks for all gun purchases
- Ban semi-automatic assault weapons and high-capacity magazines
- Make gun trafficking a federal crime
- Improve access to mental health services
Callers recognized themselves as members of the faith community while advocating against violence and emphasized the policies that they personally supported.
"The time is always right to do what is right"
– Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.