The Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) has upgraded an exhibit, featuring the pen given by President Harry Truman to then B’nai B’rith President Frank Goldman at the conclusion of the 1949 ceremony at which he signed U.S. de jure recognition of the nascent State of Israel.
The display honors the work of B’nai B’rith member (and long-time Truman friend and business partner) Eddie Jacobson and B’nai B’rith leaders for their advocacy on behalf of U.S.' recognition of the State of Israel.
Truman gave the pen to Goldman, who presented it in an elaborate silver box to then Israel ambassador Eliyahu Eilat for donation to the State of Israel.
The display now features a photo of the historic ceremony and a explanatory plaque in Hebrew and English. Last summer, B’nai B’rith World Center Director Alan Schneider, Goldman’s grandson Frank Daniel Goldman and his wife Margo Alexandra Rocklin, visited MFA to pay tribute. The upgrade of the display was initiated by the B’nai B’rith World Center in Jerusalem.
B'nai B'rith World Center
The B'nai B'rith World Center in Jerusalem is the hub of B'nai B'rith International activities in Israel. The Center serves as the key link between Israel and B'nai B'rith members and supporters around the world.