The European Jewish Congress (EJC), the World Jewish Congress (WJC), B’nai B’rith International, the American Jewish Committee Transatlantic Institute (AJC-TAI), The European Union of Jewish Students (EUJS), the European Association for the Preservation and Promotion of Jewish Culture and Heritage (AEPJ), the European Union for Progressive Judaism (EUPJ), B’nai B’rith Europe and A Jewish Contribution to an Inclusive Europe (CEJI) agreed that the European Commission must respond to a dangerous spike in anti-Semitic attacks.
All the groups recognize and applaud persistent efforts in recent years to curb this age-old scourge and expect the European Commission to widen and deepen its work in the upcoming EU strategy, which was announced by European Commission Vice-President Margaritis Schinas earlier this year.
The recommendations build on the Council Declaration of December 2020 on mainstreaming the fight against anti-Semitism across policy areas and make concrete proposals for a wide spectrum of EU policy portfolios.
● Facilitating the recognition, monitoring of anti-Semitic incidents.
● Providing heightened security and victim support and ensure the judicial system robustly prosecutes anti-Semitic hate crimes.
● Integrating the fight against anti-Semitism into the EU’s integration and inclusion agenda, digital policy and its mandate in the field of education.
● Strengthening the existing legal framework to protect essential Jewish practices such as religious slaughter and male circumcision.
● Educating about Europe’s rich Jewish cultural heritage.
● Safeguarding the memory of the Holocaust against trivialization and distortion.
● Promoting the fight against anti-Semitism in European external action, including in international partnerships, political and human rights dialogues with third countries, and in the EU’s neighborhood and enlargement process.
We look forward to continued engagement with the European Commission to see these recommendations become part of the future EU Strategy on combating anti-Semitism and fostering Jewish life and help to raise awareness and serve as a useful roadmap in the coming years.
For additional information, please contact Alina Bricman.
B’nai B’rith International has advocated for global Jewry and championed the cause of human rights since 1843. B’nai B’rith is recognized as a vital voice in promoting Jewish unity and continuity, a staunch defender of the State of Israel, a tireless advocate on behalf of senior citizens and a leader in disaster relief. With a presence around the world, we are the Global Voice of the Jewish Community. Visit bnaibrith.org.